July Q&A Session Video (2015)
We finished our second monthly Q&A for the $5+ tier, and the video is now up on Youtube for anyone who missed it live.
Thanks again to everyone for your support. I couldn’t be doing these otherwise, and I’m having a blast!
- 0:01 – Mike looks for Nikhil’s question from last time and doesn’t find it
- 0:55 – Game Design habits and mentalities, especially for new designers
- 6:50 – Throwing in everything AND the kitchen sink
- 9:45 – A trick for pacing out setups across content
- 12:08 – Laying a solid foundation and then iterating
- 13:56 – Question about tying weapons/enemies into a larger meta-economy
- 14:15 – Review of archetypes
- 16:53 – Examples from Skylanders of weapons/enemies/economy balance
- 21:10 – Examples from Ratchet and Clank
- 22:25 – Obsoleting old weapons in R&C to encourage new weapons
- 24:00 – How has Mike’s approach to game design evolved over time?
- 25:25 – Mike’s kung-fu design teachers
- 26:15 – Shedding my agenda for the players’ agendas
- 30:56 – Finding passion in designing a game that’s not FOR you
- 32:00 – Being excited when others are having fun
- 33:30 – Confusion over game development job titles
- 35:35 – Games aren’t made by one person
- 37:29 – Talks about all the varied roles in game development and what they do
- 46:20 – There are many creative agendas that all make up a larger agenda
- 49:00 – Message to Patreon supporters
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.